Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3 is the company’s latest attempt to bring foldable phones into existence. This third-generation model feels very much refined. Thanks to upgrades like S Pen Support, IPX8. This phone has got all the makings of a proper flagship on paper but can it be the option for daily use or is it still a novelty item?
For many people with deep pockets (both literally and figuratively), the big question remains the same “Does it make sense buying the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3 over phones like iPhone 12 Pro Max or Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra”
In this post, we are going to put some light on understanding about who should buy this phone. Let’s start as there is lot to reveal.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3 5G Price In India
Without keeping more secrets, let’s reveal the price. In India Samsung, fold phone price starts from Rs. 1,499,999 with RAM of 12 GB and storage of 256 GB. There is another amazing variant with the same RAM but with 512 GB storage available for RS. 1,57,999.
Internationally Samsung Z fold is launched in three colors i.e., Phantom Black, Phantom Green, and Phantom Silver.
Samsung’s new phone is expensive and there is no other way about it. However, you have picked it up during its per-booking phase then you must have got some discounts and benefits. Hope you got lucky!!
Fold3 Ergonomics And Design
Normally the appearance of this phone is very much similar to its previous version, except for the rear camera module and minor design change. Fold Phone Samsung is much slimmer than its older version. Also, the overall weight is approx. 271 g which is 11g less than its predecessor. However, still, when the phone is closed you can see a gap between two folds.
Samsung reveals that as compared to the previous model they are now using string aluminum material for its chassis. Its frame and glass back panel have a cool matte finish. It also contrasts well with the outer display and glossy hinge.
The entire body of Samsung Fold is slippery due to which opening Samsung fold phones will require quite a good effort. Also, due to the resistance of its hinge more efforts are required for opening the phone.
Mobile Phone In Fold State
In the folded state the mobile phone is easy to handle, however, you will feel it bulky in your pocket. Its height is equal to iPhone 12 Pro Max, but narrower, which will make it comfortable to hold. But to unfold it, you will need to use both your hands.
If we talk about the Galaxy Fold Phone as two halves, then the upper half includes stereo speakers on the bottom and top. It also includes dual – SIM card tray on right and a microphone. On the other hand, the lower half includes a USB Type-C port (USB 3.1 Gen1) and the rest of the microphones.
The outer display of the Samsung Galaxy Fold – Mobile Phone is the same as its old version Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2. However now it also supports a refresh rate of 120Hz. It is made of 6.2 – inch AMOLED panel with an HD+ resolution (2,268 x 832) and corning Gorilla Glass Victus).
The display of this mobile phone is vibrant and bright and is pretty much useful for simpler tasks like ‘playing casual games’ and ‘scrolling through your social media.
However, the screen is not fit for typing, unless you are a skilled type as the phone is narrow.
On top of the screen, you will get a hole-punch camera which can be easily masked via smartly designed wallpaper.
Galaxy Fold3 India – The Main Attraction
The main attraction of the mobile phone is surely the folding 7.6-inch AMOLED display which has a high resolution of 2,208 x 1,768 with an HDR 10 playback and 120Hz refresh rate.
To offer more durability, Samsung has offered a very strong ultra-thin glass (UTG) over its AMOLED display.
As per my opinion, ‘the phone needs to be handled with good care because if you will apply little pressure with your finger then it can leave a mark on the screen. Due to which Samsung has offered S Pen for this phone. So, do not poke your Samsung Galaxy Z3 or fold your mobile screen with any sharp object.
The most amazing feature of Galaxy Z3 is its under-display camera. It is very much surprised to see Samsung using such a nascent technology in its most expensive mobile phone. The idea behind this technology is to give the user an uninterrupted view of the content. And, when it works it gives a wonderful effect.
However, with little focus, you can easily tell the camera location as it has low pixel density. So, avoid using light backgrounds, however, still camera is visible with the phone is off.
P.S. With the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3 you will get only SIM eject tool and a type – C cable. There is no charger, so you have to use yours.
Galaxy Z Fold3 Specifications
With this mobile phone, you are going to get
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 SoC
- The mobile phone supports a total of 16 5G bands in India
- For authentication purposes, you can use facial recognition either with a selfie camera (both internal and external) or a fingerprint sensor integrated with the power button.
- This new model has a slightly small battery than the previous version i.e., 4,400 mAh, however, it still has 25W fast charging capability.
To charge this mobile phone you don’t have to buy Samsung branded charger as most of the USB-PD chargers up to and higher than 25W should be able to charge this mobile phone fast.
The major addition in Galaxy Z Fold3 is the IPX8 rating for water resistance. It means that the mobile phone should be much more resilient for each day’s use as compared to its old model.
“Keep in mind – the ‘X’ in the rating means it is still not certified to be a dust proof phone.” You need to be very careful about it!!
As highlighted earlier, it supports S Pen ‘Fold Edition’& ‘New S Pen Pro’, however other S Pens from previous editions will not work on it. Unfortunately, Samsung has not included it with the phone. This is an optional accessory, which means there is no silo in the body of the phone to stash the stylus when it is not in use.
|Model||Galaxy Z Fold3|
|Price in India||1,49,999|
|Release Date||11th August 2021|
|Launch in India||Yes|
|Dimensions (mm)||258.20 x 128.10 x 6.40|
|Battery Capacity (mAh)||4400|
|Colours||Phantom Silver, Phantom Green, Phantom Black|
|Screen Size (inches)||7.6|
|Resolution||2208 x 1768 pixels|
|Pixels Per Inch (PPI)||374|
|Screen Size (inches)||6.2|
|Resolution||832 x 2268 pixels|
|Internal Storage||256 GB|
|Rear Camera||12-megapixels (f/1.8, 1.8 – micron) + 12 – megapixel (f/2.2, 1.12 micron) + 12-megapixel (f/2.4, 1.0 – micron)|
|No. of Rear Cameras||3|
|Front Camera||10-megapixel (f/2.2, 1.22-micron) + 4-megapixel (f/1.8, 2.0-micron)|
|No. of Front Cameras||2|
|Operating System||Android 11|
|Wi-Fi Standards Supported||802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/Yes|
|Bluetooth||Yes, v 5.20|
|USB Type – C||Yes|
|Number of SIMs||2|
|Supports 4G in India (Band 40)||Yes|
|Ambient Light Sensor||Yes|
Software Used In Fold3
The entire phone can multitask very efficiently and you can experience a more enjoyable content consumption experience. It has improved since the 1st model, but Fold3 has got new software tricks that are worth discussing here.
Galaxy Z Fold3 runs on One UI 3.1.1 based on Android 11. The app which you will open on the mobile cover screen will get transitioned on the main screen in the same state, be it social apps, media, or games, the moment you unfold it.
However, to use the applications from folding display to outer display you have to manually enable the option, else the app will automatically close when you will fold it.
Cover Screen Mirroring
One more useful feature offered by Samsung is “Cover Screen mirroring”. You will get this under the settings of Home Screen and it mirrors the widgets and app layout of both the screens. For getting bottom static icon rows, only the first five will be mirrored on the outer screen.
To perform multitasking, you can open any three apps simultaneously, and the phone will automatically adjust space for all three apps. Also, with the help of a three-dotted menu, you can easily reposition apps to the location of your choice. Samsung also offers you to resize App window size as per your requirement. Isn’t it cool!!
On top of three currently running apps, you can also have five more apps running as a floating window. The amazing feature offered by Samsung is to run unsupported apps like games in split view. So, you can watch YouTube, play games, browse mobiles at the same time. I am not sure who is going to do this multitasking, but this is a wonderful technology introduced by Samsung.
If you are using Samsung apps, then let me tell you that the apps offered by Samsung are already optimized for multi-window usage. However, to offer a better experience to its users, the company has collaborated with other app provides.
There is a special collaboration with Spotify. Once you start using the Spotify app on the cover screen and then continue to use the main screen, ‘the now playing widget and control” will stick on a fixed place towards the left, and you can search for music on right.
You can also drag and drop links from any webpage in Samsung’s web browser for a split-screen view.
Galaxy Z Fold3 also supports Dex which will allow you to protect your phone’s content on your laptop or any compatible TV, either wireless or wired. After connection, you can use the cover screen or main screen as a track-pad.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3 – Performance
As per reviews, the performance of the phone is top-notch. Here are some of the conclusions which we have derived from user reviews.
- Apps transitioned well from the main screen to the cover screen smoothly.
- The display of the mobile phone is bright with nice color saturation and everything felt snappy and fluid.
- For typing, you can unfold the phone and can use the main screen as it is very comfortable this way. You will notice the keyboard will nicely split into two sections for better reach of your thumbs.
- For better reach, a swipe-down gesture from the bottom of both displays shrinks the content. However, the crease on the folded screen will be there, but it will be barely visible while viewing the content.
- For consuming content, the main display is very comfortable.
- This phone comes with stereo speakers which sound good and get quite loud too.
- If you are a reading maniac, then this wonderful feature is for you!! The main display of Fold3 is designed in such a way that you can comfortably read novels or any book.
- Playing games looks amazing on the main display. You will enjoy playing almost any game.
- Applications like Google Sheets and Microsoft Office are much easier to use when you have a nice big screen phone.
- To answer the call, you need to close the phone or you can also answer the call in speaker mode.
- Samsung has taken the video calling experience to another level as the outer selfie camera will offer a clearer and sharp picture. You can also use an under-display camera for answering video calls.
Apart from the above amazing Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3 features, there are few android apps like Instagram and Slack which are incompatible with a large screen. Here you need to make some exceptions.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3 – Battery Life
As per reviews, the battery life of Samsung Z fold was a bit of a mixed bag and is directly dependent on how much main display is used.
If you are using the phone for just emails and chatting then you will be able to use the Fold mobile phone for one full day without charging, however, getting anything more about it is nearly difficult.
With more usage of the phone, you will experience short battery life of around 12 hours. Mobile charging is not that quick as compared to other mobile phones offered by Samsung as it will take more than one hour for complete charging.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3 Camera
Here we have categorized multiple cameras offered by Fold3.
Under-Display Selfie Camera
Let’s start the camera description with the most arguable and interesting ‘the lowest quality camera’ i.e., the under-display selfie camera.
- Its resolution is only 4 megapixels and its aperture are f/1.8.
- This camera is good for face recognition and video calls, but not good for taking photos.
- Samsung has tried hard to fix things, but still, there is a noticeable difference in the quality of the 10-megapixel camera given on the cover screen.
- Because of the folding nature of the phone, you can easily bypass both selfie cameras and can use the only rear camera to take selfies and can experience incredible better flexibility and quality.
2x Telephoto Camera
Apart from the under-display camera, other Samsung galaxy Z fold3 cameras are the same as what was provided in Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2, except the 2X telephoto camera is now optically established.
Three main cameras i.e., telephoto, ultra-wide and wide all are blessed with 12-megapixel sensors.
When you will open the camera from the cover screen, you will get the option of selecting the rear camera for taking selfies.
Opening Galaxy Z Fold3 halfway will show your recent videos and photos on the left side; however, the viewfinder and controls will be on the right side. If you will switch to landscape mode in the same half-folded state then the controls will move to the bottom screen along with the preview of your most recent photos.
- The performance of the camera looks amazing. Close-ups & landscapes are nice during the day with clear details and punchy colors. However, still, fold3 is unable to manage finer details like distant objects and texture.
- An ultra-wide camera of Fold3 offers a great job, but on the other hand, the telephoto camera is a little disappointing because it offers only 2X optical zoom and a maximum digital zoom of 10X.
- You will get amazing night mode when ambient light is less than ideal and will help in getting well-exposed landscape shots with the main camera.
- The phone can record video at up to 4K 60fps, however, there is also an option for shooting HDR10+ clips too.
- The quality of the video will be good during the daytime, but when the light is low, you can see jitter in video.
Samsung was working on folding smartphone technology for a very long time. The latest foldable phone from Samsung is proof that this is not going to be the only phone by the company.
In the future, Samsung is planning to launch more mobile phones with foldable displays as there is a lot of catching up to be done before they can be as reliable or strong as the standard flat display.
If you are the person who wants to put yourself on the bleeding edge of technology, then Galaxy Z Fold3 is the refined foldable smartphone in the market. However, you need to be very mindful to use a folding display as it can be damaged easily. But if you are interested in keeping a tablet-sized screen in your pocket and can live on few compromises like battery life, cameras, and ergonomics then nothing is better than Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3. What do you think?? Let us know your point of view in the comments.
Image Credits – amazon.in